Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

....learning to blog

Blogging is a slippery slope to say the least. I feel like one day blogging was nonexistent and now it’s everywhere. I don’t remember when it started, but I was intrigued by it because it seemed to be a raw and honest opinions coming from the everyday person, rather than some news person on celebrity!

The article was very interesting because it goes along with the same ideas I have in regards to social media. Words can cut like a knife or haunt you like a ghost and people are learning the hard way about this basic rule of thumb. Its one thing for a teen age girl to start a blog about her life in highschool, love for Justin Beiber and everything pop culture, but it’s another for a “reputable” news outlet to blog. In my opinion it’s a bit socially irresponsible and reckless for FOX, ABC etc. to blog, they are supposed to deliver accurate nonbiased news to the people. Call me old fashion, but I like my news straight with no chaser, not this fancy pants technically driven stuff I see nowadays. But like anything in the business world, it’s about the bottom line. These news outlets have taken on the idea to roll with the times, or get rolled over. They have to stay on top of what’s new and go along with it, even if it’s against their better judgment.
After reading the article, Dana Hull's (2006) article, Blogging Between the LinesI realized that there isn’t much that can be done to fact check and or monitor what bloggers are writing. I’m VERY surprised that bloggers haven’t been sued due to the sometimes inaccurate or defaming things they write. Like many social media outlets, blogging reaches millions, but doesn’t realize the impact it has on the world good, bad or indifferent. I think it’s a shame that 2 of the top 5 blogs are “gossip” blogs (TMZ and Perez Hilton). I like a little insight into celebrities’ lives, but these sites take it to a whole new level. I don’t agree with the invasion of the celebrities’ space and business, it’s horrible and at times dangerous what these people will do to get a picture of celebrities and post about their lives. Has no one learned from the death of Princess Diana?
My short encounter with blogging thus far has been fun and informative. I was amazed at how easy it is to create and maintain a blog. I thought you had to be an IT wiz in order to create a blog, I was wrong. I look forward to seeing how my blog will grow and sharing it with those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment